Our Seven-Step Search Process
Most searches will require four to six months to complete.
Click on any of the stages shown in the Search Process info-graphic for information about each step in the process.
STEP ONE: Assessment, Planning & Profiling
- Meet with your Search Team and other stakeholders to build a full understanding of the organization, position opening, and context for the opportunity.
- Gather documents and information about the position (job description, benefits package, etc.).
- Agree on a search strategy and finalize the budget.
- Craft an Opportunity Profile for the position.
STEP TWO: Sourcing, Marketing & Networking
- Aggressively promote the position through active networking within trade associations, professional networks, and circles of influence.
- Conduct an extensive keyword search of our talent bank, third-party candidate resume databases, and social media sites such as LinkedIn.
- Create and place targeted ads in print venues, affinity groups, special-interest/association websites, job boards, email blasts, and social media sites pertinent to the location and type of position.
STEP THREE: Pre-Screening & Evaluation
- Provide timely response to all inquiries received as a result of promotion and advertising, so you don’t have to.
- Evaluate and pre-screen candidates to winnow the field down to candidates who are qualified, have genuine interest, and meet your requirements.
- Implement professional personality assessments such as DiSC and Myers-Brigg.
- Consult with the Search Team through the screening process, providing regular updates and real-time online access to candidate data.
STEP FOUR: Cohort Presentation & Interviews
- Select and evaluate primary candidates of interest.
- Coordinate logistics, planning, and preparations for onsite personal interviews.
- Work closely with the Search Team to establish an agenda, questions, and format for the interviews.
- Prepare comprehensive written profiles for each candidate.
- Lead the interviews and participate as a professional resource to the interviewing team.
- Facilitate discussions with the Search Team as they review and assess each of the candidates.
STEP FIVE: Due Diligence & Verification
- Follow-up with candidates to address outstanding questions.
- Gather additional due diligence to aid in selection of the finalist(s).
- Conduct in-depth reference research and background checks.
- Verify candidate information such as degrees, prior employment dates, etc.
STEP SIX: Selection, Negotiation, & Appointment
- Select finalist(s).
- Arrange for candidate(s) and their spouse — if applicable — to attend “meet & greets” with staff, Board members, and other stakeholders, if necessary.
- Determine compensation and contract specifics.
- Formalize offer letter and contract details, if needed.
- Secure formal approvals and execute documents.
STEP SEVEN: Communication & Onboarding/Transition Assistance
- Create a communication plan to announce the appointment.
- Make courtesy calls to other top-tier candidates.
- Maintain contact with the candidate post-placement to ensure the transition is proceeding well.
- Provide additional on-boarding/transition counsel and assistance as needed.
What does exceptional look like for you?
Contact us today to discuss how our team of experienced professionals can help you get there. Guaranteed.